Elder Reynolds in Brazil

Elder Reynolds in Brazil

Friday, March 23, 2012

Brazil Week 16

I hope you tell everyone hello for me. How did the soccer game go? Portuguese is fine, I feel like I can say anything I want or need to say, even if I have to switch the sentence structure. I hope school is going well for you, are you still going to the other side of the city to work? I hope you are doing well. We have a baptism this Sunday. Ill let you know how it goes.
Anyway, I gotta get going, we have to go set up for an activity at the church here real soon, and we had to catch a bus to get to this lan house... but here´s something I´ve been thinking about a lot recently- Comparison and the sin that it is. Pride is one of the biggest tools of the adversary and he really knows how to get us to fall into pride, and one of those ways is comparison. We often find ourselves wanting what others have or thinking we deserve something that others have, and we put them down in our minds and try to make ourselves better or equal to others in comparison. There really is danger in comparing ourselves  with other God´s children, because we try to find the speck in others´s eyes without removing the mote in our own eyes. There really is only one type of good comparison- the comparison of ourselves with God´s standard today and what it was yesterday. We all need to be progressing, and working towards improving ourselves in relation to the eternal standard of the basic principles and laws of eternity. Christ was the master teacher of all this and really showed and taught us how to live these virtues. I really have noticed that in my life, I think I compared myself too much with others- it´s quite a natural thing to do, but really nothing good comes of it. I´ve noticed that as I´ve let that go, I recognize that there is a different ´´spirit´´ in comparing ourselves to others rather than comparing our progress eternally. Anyway, I´ve found the spirit to be a lot stronger in my life as I´ve noticed and tried to improve that. We´re all working towards improving ourselves, using this life as our time to prepare to meet God. 

I love my mission, I love the gospel, and I know this church is true. Jesus is the Christ, He lives everyone, and how wonderful and utterly amazing that is!


Love, Elder Merrick Reynolds

No comments:

Post a Comment